Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Moving forward

I still homeschool. Really, I do. And I really want to write here, but I have used up the small percentage of functioning brain that pregnancy hasn't stolen on actually teaching my child.

So here is a brief update in case it is another two weeks before I come back:

We made it through every letter of the alphabet lesson in Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, but I am reviewing this week with various worksheets and projects and games before we start actually making those sounds into words. Joey still confuses some lower case letters, and he still mixes short vowel i and e sounds on occasion, so review is good.

Saxon Math 1 has been great. He enjoys it and will ask to "do math." He loves using manipulatives and he understands all the concepts we have introduced so far.

We have started a "Today Book" where he records the day and date every morning (handwriting as well as calendar skills), and then later in the day I will scribe at the bottom of the page what he did that day or his favorite part of the day, sort of like a journal. I leave space for him to draw a picture if he wants. He is all smiles as he listens to me read back what he told me to write, and that thrills me since that means he is seeing a purpose and pleasure in writing and that is what my hope was.

There is a little more going on in our little homeschool, but we'll talk about that another time.

Have a great rest of your week, and keep smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment