Saturday, October 3, 2009

Reading

We reached day 41 this week, and Joey is reading! Just vowel-consonant-vowel words, with the short a sound, and the sight word the, but still, he is reading!

It has been so much fun to watch him blend the letter sounds into words. In our reading instruction book, they have put some words into simple sentences, but I can see he gets a bit flustered, so I am trying to slow down, and focus on word families. He likes using the letter magnets, so that has been successful with mastering the -an, -ad, and -at families of words.

Trying to find the right balance of challenge and mastery is an interesting task. Keeping him from being bored, without causing frustration is my goal. I want him to love reading, so I am hoping to find the sweet spot of education that will do that. He loves books and read alouds, so I need to do my best to not mess that up with an impatient attitude as we slowly make the phonics connections.

All that to say, I am happy and thankful for this week. It is a blessing to be the one to watch him have these learning experiences.

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog! Glad you started it! It is neat to see someone else homeschooling and the interruptions that come along!

    ReplyDelete